Saturday

My best friends dream wedding on the beach!






Beach weddings are only for beach 'bums' said a friend who wasn’t invited to the wedding. So I listened, smiled inwardly and contained my excitement with much difficulty to not hurt her feelings any further.

I arrived at this resort which was located right on the beach of Fisherman’s cove, dropped my bags merrily and hurriedly changed into my tanning attire ready to hit the beach. All my friends were, as expected, on the beach in a fun happy mood, lazing about - I was just in time for some cold fizz and a sumptuous lunch on the beach. Over the days I discovered the look and feel of the wedding was a mix of Egyptian and Latino moods and ofcourse Indian rituals:)

And soon I was told how the next few days were to unfold- seemed like a long party ahead:) My arrival day ended with an all night party where the invitees were just friends. It was one of those non stop night of dancing with my feet not tiring at all.

By the time we hit our rooms it was 8am the next morning, after a superbly luxurious breakfast. I crashed out nearly all day- woke up at 4pm with the sun mocking at me for my tanning plans were soon fading and I quickly changed into beach clothes and met the family and friends again who were also coming awake my time to begin the mehendi ceremony. Sitting on the beach under these beautiful white sun umbrellas on deck chairs which were strewn with summery flowers, diet cokes and beer for company, this private beach was only for the wedding couple and their friends. The glorious sunset, Punjabi mehendi songs played loud against the crashing of the waves on the shore, shimmering twinkling lights on the beach were lit as evening sky gave way to darkening clouds and the mood became merrier with many coming alive to dancing to Indian steps and songs and the party was alive and once again rocking.

I would easily qualify this wedding to be a huge class act on a beach, with so much fun and joy thrown in because of this unique venue. The great outdoors and at that a beach made all the difference. I didn’t see no frayed nerves, no frowns no relatives hassled, everything progressed smoothly and happily and everyone indulged in fun and laughter.

The mehendi ceremony gave way to an elegant evening with the glam quotient climbing notches higher as there were guests who came from the film industry and the theater and tv world. We once again had a blast on the beach with nobody really hanging out in the shamianas but everybody kicking off their high heels to dance on the sand as the music wattage kept climbing higher into the night.

If you are ever attending a beach wedding let me quickly throw in a word of advise- it doesn’t matter what shoes you wear -attractive 6inches tall, stilettos, clumps or whatever- eventually you have to give up on your shoes as the sand or the red carpet is simply not conducive to them – you are better off in flats or platforms:)

While I know they are not very attractive, I'd rather have my comfort and be happy than be slipping and sliding awkwardly in between the wedding and the reception when everyone is taking pictures – you don’t want to be caught in a clumsy mode on camera:) - I saw so many heels sink into the sand !! Bleh!

Us girlfriends finally caught our breath and huddled around a campfire by night and simply sipped wine and soaked in the night sky and stars and the love we felt for each other. Soon we knew – the next day- our friend was going to be the Mrs:)

We were all up bright and early the next day- set to help each other, furiously getting ready for the big affair, all of us looking our prettiest, and we 5 friends walked down from the hotel to the beach layout done up so very beautifully for the wedding rituals. It was so breath taking. The wedding ceremony took about 45 mins, it felt so very different despite the same rituals when conducted in a ballroom of a 5 star hotel. Soon the wedding ceremony was over and the party was on in earnest again. Much mingling and exchange of phone numbers and promises to stay in touch – this wedding was for someone like me who absolutely hates attending formal weddings, a blast of happiness, fun and frolic! This wedding on the beach lent itself to easy informality, and never compromised on the full formal ceremony. There was more than enough space for all guests to be comfortable, and the beach was within easy reach from the hotel, accessible for a quick dash for a phone call or change of shoes, the ambiance was exotic and unique with the lone flutist playing live in the background. I am still smiling…

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi mee,

I did try to find out about Dr.Amir Iqbal on net but coudnt do it...Book has address of his ...it was released in 1979 ....come down to Hyderabad we will go and find if he is there or if not ...his soul will follow us looking at our interest in him ...your gift for the trip " photo copy of the book"....mmm

sd_junaid@yahoo.com

sheila said...

Meeeee it sounds like u had a swell time:) glad all of you enjoyed yourselves. Will be in the big bad city next week, look fwd to seeing you:) hugs xxx

ashish said...

Wowo you having a blast I c. Mee in cold united states dashing frm mtg to mtg and looking fwd to heading back to coorg and home eagerly - need some sun soon. Wats the plan for the wkend. When you nxt in my city?#

Anon said...

I once attended a beach wedding many yrs ago and I remember it was much fun too. The wedding ceremony and reception all were held right there on the beach. No need to travel to different locations. Which gets so very convenient for everybody. Hey, even the kids can have fun at a beach wedding! Runa

Jim said...

Sounds like a dream! This wedding sounds like a modern and refreshing change from the "stodgy" traditional weddings we tend to see around us in our towns, especially in smaller places, this one allows ones imagination and persona to polish through.

sanjiv said...

I attended a goan wedding on the beach a few yrs ago and that too was a memorable event. The sea, the palms, the cove were such lush and colourful backdrops amidst which this wedding took place - they had used bougainvillea to decorate arches, and the head table, they had tropical flowers by the stem from local florists to make table arrangements based in vases weighted with sand, there were chaat and tiki huts erected as an outside bar, guests were offerd tropical drinks after the ceremony, there were tropical fruits in your desert cart and they even had a tropical fruit wedding cake! I remember these details because everything else was non veg in this wedding party and they had forgotten me who was strictly a vegetarian:(, nonetheless it was a memorable wedding with Calypso, Reggae and ofcourse loads of goan music to keep company - despite me not knowing too many people at the wedding it was fun as everybody was in a cheerful mood- the beach I guess does that to people:)

Mike said...

A pristine beach in a sunny clime; the orchestrating sounds of rhythmic waves and rustling leaves; the swaying of the palm fronds and trees and a wedding on the sands - an idyllic setting for a wedding! Wish the very best to your friends:)

Mee said...

Thanks Junaid for writing in, will keep an eye out for Dr Amir Iqbals book. Will keep you posted

Neelu said...

oooh delicious, warm, luxury, fun..

Sailaja said...

aah! what a beach ...if i could find one like this i would marry again....to the same guy of course! ...BTW where is this place?

Cuckoo said...

I have never been to a beach wedding, must be so different as you say.

Mee said...

Sailaja- this is Fishermans Cove in Chennai:)

ALLEX said...

your blog reminded me my own wedding....cultures and continents vary but smell of flower remain the same.

ALLEX said...

wow... its so nice to think of a wedding like that... i am sure the actual exoperience must have been too exciting

Janvi said...

Your words sometimes echo in my mind and during my leisure time, i read your write ups again and again.For Beach Wedding booking , packages & information you can visit our website India wedding planner

robcascayan said...

Hi? can i use one of your photos in this article? the beach wedding photo if you don't mind. You're approval is highly appreciated. Thanks. God bless.

Anonymous said...

Hi there
I am planning my wedding on a beach for next year. Today was the first actual day we started looking at places. After reading "my best friends dream wedding on the beach!" I was wondering if this was in Melbourne, Australia? As I am very interested in having something very similar. If someone could please contact me with details at: reneebelli@live.com.au this would be truly appreciated.
Allmthe best for the near and dear future
Renee

gareth batty said...


Hello!!

I think that is one of the most significant blog today i have seen.And i am glad that you have shared wonderful lil story with us with this stunning pictures.

Thanks a lot for sharing.
Christmas Gifts For Him

Annie83 said...

I had attended my best friend’s wedding at San Diego Wedding venues. The whole decoration was amazing, even beach area was beautifully decorated with flowers.